Caterpillar, Inc. Engineer / Senior Engineer – Core Engine Software Development in Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Engineer / Senior Engineer – Core Engine Software Development
Job Title: Engineer / Senior Engineer – Core Engine Software Development
Salary: £39,271 - £50,000 (depending on depth of experience)
Benefits: 25 days annual leave,
10-12 % bonus (Depending on Experience)
Contributory pension scheme,
Contributory share scheme
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Relocation: May be supported
Sponsorship:: Not supported with this role
Caterpillar Inc is the world’s leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
ITDD Advanced Components & Technologies is the Caterpillar business unit responsible for electronic and electrical systems development across all CAT engine and machine platforms. Based in Peterborough, the European Division of ITDD ACT works with all CAT’s European facilities to develop and apply advanced technology to the control of our highly integrated engines and machines. With unrivalled levels of vertical integration within the industry, ACT products help to maximise the customer value and efficiency of the end products, whilst minimising owning and operating costs.
The successful applicant for this position will join the European Engine Controls team, which is responsible for engine control system development for all Industrial Power Systems Division’s small and medium engine programmes and will be involved in the design and development of embedded software used to control a range of IPSD engines.
This position offers the opportunity to work on cutting edge engine control system technology, with a diverse range of applications ranging from small construction machinery to agriculture and generator sets.
1. Work with process partner teams (primarily IPSD L4 Performance) and colleagues within the controls team, to understand and develop requirements for engine control software for the IPSD small and medium diesel engines (C1.7 to C7.1)
2. Design and develop embedded C code to meet engine control requirements, using industry standard methodologies.
3. Integrate developed software together with other library code and model-based autocode, to create overall executable software which delivers the controls functions defined in the system requirements.
4. Support the Engine Software Lead Engineer to undertake all software activities associated with a planned software release - integrating and building engine control software to support all in-scope engine variants.
5. Conduct engine software troubleshooting and debugging, as required.
1. Customer focus
3. Initiating action
4. Good problem-solving, analysis and decision-making skills
5. High work standards
6. Good planning and organisational skills
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Strong technical background (good technical degree preferred in software engineering, computer science, mechanical, electronic, electrical, control systems or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
2. Experience of creating embedded C code for realtime control systems.
3. Ability to understand customer requirements and objectives and translate these into functional and efficient software.
4. Knowledge of software FMEA and validation plan creation.
5. Excellent communications skills
6. Strong customer focus
1. Prior experience in control software development, gained in engine or powertrain control or an associated environment
2. A sound understanding of at least some of the technologies used to meet power and emissions requirements in off-highway diesel engines and the techniques used to control them (emissions and combustion, governing, fuel system, air system, aftertreatment thermal management and SCR technologies).
3. Demonstrable experience of industry-standard software development processes.
4. Experience of software development within an Agile environment.
5. Knowledge of software version control systems, ideally GiT or Clearcase.
6. Knowledge of / prior experience of developing software to meet functional safety requirements.
Primary Location United Kingdom-Cambridgeshire-Peterborough
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Req ID: 190000C3